Hyacinth

Hyacinth

haydenlovesdragons added on May 13, 2018 | Answered

Why are my city of hyacinth’s wilting? The flowers are wilting early and the leaves are turning yellowish brown. The soil is moist so I have refrained from watering them. The weather has been misty and foggy with no rain. It is placed in pot ontop of brick wall and I do not use fertilisers or compost. Why is my plant wilting?

Hyacinths are called spring ephemerals. Like daffodils, tulips and many other early spring bulbs, the leaves remain long enough to replenish the bulb's energy and then the plant goes dormant until next spring. Removing the worn blooms (dead-heading) is recommended as it takes lots of energy to make seed resulting in less available energy to nourish/re-build the bulb. So gradual yellowing is normal as the plant enters dormancy.

00
Here are more questions about Hyacinth