Climbing Roses

How to Train Climbing Roses

lorinkleinman added on May 10, 2017 | Answered

Hi! I am trying to grow roses for the first time, and bought two, bare-root, from David Austin USA. One is a Claire Austin climbing rose, and when it arrived, it was smaller than any of the pictures I have seen of climbing roses. How should I approach training it? It has some new growth: should I start tying longer pieces to the trellis, or should I let it get larger first? If so, how large? And should I eliminate the smaller of the new shoots? I've been having trouble finding information about very young roses online, and would greatly appreciate your advice. Sincerely, Lorin Kleinman

I believe in training climbing roses as soon as possible. Tie the canes off to your desired support structure early on as the canes become large enough to tie off well. Here is a link to an article on this subject for you:

Here are more questions about Climbing Roses