Plant Recommendations

How to Survive Balcony Heat!

leess added on April 25, 2013 | Answered

What type of plant- small tree, etc. might I plant on my very sunny, hot and sometimes windy balcony for a little added shade? Anything? We have one tree too far from the balcony to help. . . in Ky. The heat and humidity will soon be terrible and I get the afternoon sun through very large windows that blinds only help so much. We have one umbrella but would like plants. It is a long narrow balcony running the length of the house. Can't build anything because I'm recovering from breast cancer, so limited funds and mobility. HELP

The first thing that comes to mind is a large container and trellis with Purple Hyacinth Bean growing on it. Dolichos lablab can get 20 feet long and loves hot sun. It will give color, blooms and shade till frost. You can save seed for the next year. What about Sky Pencil Holly? Never more than 2' wide and 6-8' tall, evergreen, will take hot sun. There are a few columnar deciduous trees, but without knowing the width of your space, I can't make a recommendation.

Here are more questions about Plant Recommendations