Geranium Plants

How to Store Geraniums for Winter

carole madison added on October 22, 2013 | Answered

I live in Denver- dry high climate. How to store geraniums for winter?

00

I get this question all the time. Usually it's from someone who have been told to pull them up, put them in a paper bag or hang them upside down for the winter, then replant in the spring. I always ask if they would like to spend the winter either in a paper bag or hung upside down! The looks I get are priceless.
When I bring geraniums in for the winter, they get a good trim, cleaned by removing bad leaves and all color, inspection for pests, and placed in an extremely sunny location. During their months inside, I make sure they stay slightly dry, and I keep the growing tips pinched so they don't get tall and leggy. I fertilize only a little, and keep them in a cool location...in the 40's at night. I've done this for years.

00
Here are more questions about Geranium Plants