Mint Plants

How to Revive a Dying Mint Cutting That Has No Roots

mario added on August 21, 2011 | Answered

I went for a walk and found a mint plant. I cut a small cutting and I put it in a glass of water so it could grow roots, but now it is starting to die. Please tell me what to do to revive the mint before it is to late.

Make sure that you are changing the water regularly. Dirty water is what most often kills plants rooting in water.

Also, give it a few days to adjust. it may need a little time to adjust to not having roots. If it is a very long cutting, you may want to consider trimming it down. Mint cutting without roots have a hard time supporting more than 6-7 leaves. If you cutting has more than that, you may want to make your cutting smaller.

Increasing the humidity around the cutting will also help. Placing a larger jar or glass over the cutting can do this or creating a tent of plastic as well. Just make sure that the cutting is out of direct light and that it does not touch the covering.

Here are more questions about Mint Plants