How to identify edible truffle
How do I know if the fungi ball that grows just under the surface is an edible truffle? It is white inside until the top opens. When the top opens, water gets in and the inside becomes mushy and black. The ball can grow to about 5 or 6 inches or so. Are there any truffles that are poisonous? Thanks
Certified GKH Gardening Expert
I am sorry. We can't give advice on the edible nature of mushrooms. It is just too tricky and dangerous.
I would recommend contacting a local mushroom or foraging expert or your local extension service. They will be able to help you.