Orchid Trees

How Old Does an Orchid Tree Have to Be Before They Bloom?

barbarac31 added on March 26, 2013 | Answered

I have 3 orchid trees which I planted from seeds I collected from a local tree. They are about 8-10 years old. They are probably about 8 feet tall. I live in South Texas and they have died back in the winter several times. Most branches survived this winter. There has never been any blooms.

There may simply be a nutrient imbalance in the soil. You could try adding phosphorus rich fertilizer or bone meal to the soil to help encourage flowering.

USDA Zones 9 - 11. Orchid tree is a subtropical plant that usually recovers from brief freezes (after dropping its leaves). It gets tree sized in the tropics, but will stay shrublike where it is subjected to frost and freezing. Not being very familiar with this tree, I offer no suggestions regarding no flowers. You could contact your local agricultural extension office.

Here are more questions about Orchid Trees