Topsy Turvy Tomato

How Often Should I Water Tomatoes and Lettuce?

stephljones added on May 26, 2011 | Answered

I have tomatoes in a hanging type of container and lettuce in a raised table, with mesh underneath. If we water once a day, the lettuce looks limp and wilted after a few hours. We started watering two or three times a day, and the lettuce is perking up nicely.  Am I doing the right thing? As for the tomatoes, the container does not contain much soil. . . 1 bag of potting soil for 2 tomatoes. I usually check the soil around 2 or 3 times in the afternoon, and if it looks and feels dry, I give it more water. Is this the right thing?

Yes, this is absolutely right. Plants in containers need alot more water than plants in the ground because they cannot spread their roots out to find more water. Plus, water in containers evaporates far faster than water in the ground. As long as your plants are not in standing water and are draining well, you almost cannot overwater them on high temperature days.

00
Here are more questions about Topsy Turvy Tomato