Container Tomato Plants

Watering Tomato Plants

How much water should I give tomato plants planted in 5 gallon buckets? My plants are 6-8 inches tall. I just bought them last week and they have not grown much. If the soil seems dry to me up to my knuckle each day, then how much water should I give them? I'm also not sure if the soil could be too wet down past my knuckle. My buckets do have many quarter inch holes in the bottom. Just don't want to overwater or underwater. I have not fertilized yet, but was think about mixing some with the water soon.

kh0001

You can water them until the soil on top is just moist, not soaked, and let them dry out between waterings so that the roots grow stronger (they will "reach" for water). If they are in direct sunlight for several hours each day you could water each day, but if not then it could be as little as once a week.

This article may help you:

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/vegetables/tomato/growing-tomatoes-pots-containers.htm

00
Here are more questions about Container Tomato Plants