Bean Plants

How Many Bush Bean Plants Can Be Put in One Container?

mlcozzi63 added on March 15, 2015 | Answered

Last year we planted them near an eggplant and they crowded the the eggplant. Now my husband wants me to plant them in containers. I bought blue lake, an early Italian bush bean. Should I start seeds inside first?

The number of plants you can sow in a pot depends on the diameter of the pot. Nine plants will fit comfortably in every 12 inches of surface space. Space seeds 3 inches apart or, for vining varieties, plant 2 to 3 seeds around each pole. Be sure to pick a pot deep enough for your bean variety - pole beans need 8 to 9 inches of soil, bush beans need 6 to 7 inches. When you are ready to sow seeds, you can start the seeds indoors or you can do so outside, provided it's warm enough.

For more detailed information on growing beans in containers, please visit the following link:

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/vegetables/beans/growing-beans-in-containers.htm

00
Here are more questions about Bean Plants