Christmas Cactus Plants

How Do You Transplant a 14 Year Old Christmas Cactus

mosiesmom added on May 11, 2014 | Answered

How do you transplant a 14 year old Christmas cactus that is woody and brittle? I have transplanted it before but don't know how with it being so brittle now as I said it is about 14 years old.

e-mail me please with the answer at mosiesmom@yahoo.com

Yes, repotting an old Christmas cactus is difficult. I've tried it myself. The best way is to get someone to help. One person supports the plant while the other slips off the pot, spreads out and prunes the roots, and settles them in their new home. A couple of things to consider - Christmas cactus bloom best when rootbound, so you don't need to repot unless the plant seems to be losing vigor; also, if you want it to grow bigger, use a pot the next size up, otherwise use the same size pot that it was in; finally, there's a good chance that some pieces will break off. Here's an article on starting those: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/cacti-succulents/christmas-cactus/how-to-propagate-and-plant-christmas-cactus.htm

00
Here are more questions about Christmas Cactus Plants