Crape Myrtle Trees

How Do You Root a Stalk Off a Crape Myrtle?

Bodidles added on August 8, 2012 | Answered

My father-in-law has some crape myrtles that are mature trees. I was wanting to know if I could dig down beside and gently split one of the stalks off and replant? Thank you for your help.

You can root cuttings from the tree or grow them from seed. You may also be able to grow a sucker from around the base of the tree.

You can dig up the suckers and pot them up in potting soil. When you dig them, up, make sure some of the roots come with the sucker. Keep them well watered and in the shade. When you see new leaf growth, they are ready to be transplanted into the ground. I will warn you though that the suckers will not likely look like the mother and may grow more shrub like.

If you are wanting to take cuttings from each of the trees to root, these articles should help:

Here are more questions about Crape Myrtle Trees