Jacaranda Trees

How Do I Know if My Tree Is Going Bare for Winter as Usual, or Dead?

gmgal2012 added on November 8, 2012 | Answered

I have a flowering tree in my front yard (in Las Vegas area). It came with the house and is well-established. Every spring it produces purplish flowers and every winter it loses most (if not all) the leaves. . . but last week the Home Owner's Assoc. (HOA) sent a notice that our tree is "dead and please remove and replace it. " I am pretty sure they just don't like us. . . and the tree will grow new leaves and flower in the spring as usual, but how do I know? Are there signs that can help me determine if they are right or if they are looking for a new way to hassle us? Also, I've looked at some internet sites trying to identify our tree and it looks a little like a cross between a Jacranda mimosifolia and a Red Buckeye (Aesculus pavia). . . but not a perfect match for either. . . help? I have a photo from last Christmas (no flowers left but it has more leaves last year than right now - but I can't seem to paste a copy of it here. . . .      

Here are more questions about Jacaranda Trees