Azalea Plants

How Do I Keep My Azaleas From Being Killed by a Pest or Disease?

chipg326 added on May 31, 2012 | Answered

There is a white flaky substance on the branches of my azaleas that seems to be killing the branches they are on. I have looked online and have not seen anything described that resembles what I have. Is this something I need to keep from spreading to other plants? Should I be thinking about getting rid of these azaleas and starting out fresh? If I do get rid of the azaleas, do I need to worry about the soil being infected?

It sounds like it may be lichen, which is not harmful to the plants, though it does grow on plants that are stressed. However, if you want to get rid of it or simply want more info, here is an article that you may find helpful: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/fungus-lichen/treatment-tree-lichen.htm

00
Here are more questions about Azalea Plants