Choke Cherry Trees

How Do I Improve the Growth of a Chokecherry Tree?

stjudeb added on October 10, 2015 | Answered

The tree was planted three years ago. It's a Canada Red Chokecherry. I've fed it several times with tree spikes and did some deep watering. But it looks very spindly. What does the tree need to fill out more? In general, the soil is clay. A garden center told me that maybe it was planted too high. The hole might not have been big enough. Do I replant it?

I would certainly start with a soil test and find out the ph of your soil.

Access the watering, even though you say you have been watering. Try increasing watering.

Generally the tree should be placed in the ground at the same level as it was in the pot.

Digging an adequate sized planting hole is a step that many persons do skimp on, digging the hole twice the size of the pot diameter is a good guideline.
This allows you to add some amendment to the soil area also.

Certainly replanting is an option along with lifting the tree and amending the soil. Fall or spring is the best time to do this.
Remember to water daily the first 2 weeks if you choose this option, then cut back from there.

Here is a link to refresh you on the care requirements.

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/trees/chokecherry/chokecherries-in-the-landscape.htm

Do not try to fertilize the tree into health by over fertilizing. A slow release fertilizer in the spring should be sufficient.

00
Here are more questions about Choke Cherry Trees