Ferns

How Do I Care for My Ferns (Lady) in Winter?

vcooper5775 added on December 6, 2014 | Answered

My ferns multiply like crazy over the winter and are beautiful in spring, summer and fall. But they die back when weather turns cold and look ugly. How do I care for them and retard the spreading?

Lady ferns are a deciduous fern, meaning they lose their leaves in the winter. After the leaves die back, you can cut them off, if you want to tidy up your garden. You can control their spread by digging up the rhizomes (large underground stems from which the leaves spring) in the areas you don't want the ferns to appear, or from the edges of the fern clumps. Just after the first frost is a recommended time, but if that's passed for you, you can dig anytime the earth isn't frozen. https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/foliage/lady-fern/planting-lady-ferns.htm

00
Here are more questions about Ferns