Boston Fern Plants

How Deep Should a Boston Fern Be in Pot When Transplanting?

dbaty added on September 7, 2012 | Answered

I just purchased a new bigger pot for my fern. The pot is a size larger than the previous one. When I put the fern in the new pot, the crown is quite high above the rim.

First of all, you want the plant and the soil level to be at least 1" below the rim of the pot, so you can water without having the water run off the plant and onto the floor. If you're sure you need to use this pot, you can - take a big breath now, this is scary stuff - cut the bottom off the fern's root mass so it will fit down into the pot. Just pull it out of the pot, lay it down on a cutting board, and cut off the bottom inch or 2 inches or whatever you need with a sharp knife. Make sure you allow for some soil in the bottom of the pot before the plant goes in.

00
Here are more questions about Boston Fern Plants