Pittosporum Plants

How Can I Save Pittosporum Tenuifolium?

Leon added on July 25, 2016 | Answered

I have 8 12-years old pittosporum tenuifolium in my backyard. The trees are about 15-20 feet tall. I see one tree dies within the last 4 weeks. The leaves are getting brown and failing. I see something strange on the tree’s trunk. There are some white spots. I didn’t change the water schedule. The weather condition is unchanged. The gardener advised to remove the tree but I would like to treat it instead. Would you recommend the solution to save this tree?

Getoutandgarden

Yes neem oil is a great solution for this. The scale protects adults from sprays, the eggs hatch in june/july so spray now to knock them on the head. Further reading https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/plant-problems/pests/pesticides/neem-oil-uses.htm

10
Leon

Thank you very much for the answer!
Would you recommend neem oil to spray?

00
Getoutandgarden

The spots sound like white scale. If there is an infestation this will affect the plant.if coverage of the scale is light then spray with a suitable insecticide oil. Do not remove the plant unless you are sure it has died! Check the end of the branches are still alive by snipping with secateurs and checking they are still green inside.if this is the case, the plant still has a chance.

00
Here are more questions about Pittosporum Plants