Squash Plants

Save My Squash Plants From Squash Bugs

ousoonerfan33 added on July 11, 2011 | Answered

How can I save my squash plants from squash bugs? I had a problem with them last year. I've always grown organic, but it was so out of hand last year, I resorted to SEVIN DUST. It didn't work, so I set the plants ablaze to avoid infestation of my ENTIRE garden. I planted again this year, only in a spot clear across my property from where I planted last year. I was hoping to avoid reinfestation. I had heard that by spreading mothballs and using Sevin dust before the 3rd leaf grows, you can repel these critters. MYTH!! I did both--40 squash plants, 10 small boxes of mothballs spread throughout. I am now the not so proud owner of 5000 squash bugs. I live deep in the country. . .these critters are like cockroaches. . . THEY ARE IMMUNE TO EVERYTHING. I'm now down to 20 plants, all of which have squash on them but also squash bugs. Someone help. . . PLEASE!

Be sure you're dealing with squash bugs, not stink bugs. They look very much alike and stink bugs will take over in the way your describing. I can relate, having been fighting both the critters myself. I've been using rotenone which seems to kill them off. I am an organic gardener and that's probably the most lethal pesticide I would use. If you chose to use it, please use safety precautions and follow the directions. It is organic, but it is very toxic!!

Here are more questions about Squash Plants