Ocotillo Plants

How and When to Prune My Ocotillo

Jahnmjo added on August 24, 2014 | Answered

How and when to prune my Ocotillo so it gets fuller not bigger? It's located in an entry courtyard and I don't want it to get much taller.

To the best of my knowledge, ocotillo is not the kind of plant that responds well to pruning. If you cut the branches, you lose the flowers, and end up with tangled and unattractive growth, losing the qualities you originally planted it for. That being said, I believe you could cut branches off at ground level, if they get too long. According to reports, these plants get 6 - 10' tall in the garden, so if this is going to be way to big for your needs, you may want to move the ocotillo before it gets much bigger, and replace it with something that will mature to the size you want, rather than trying to force the ocotillo to stay small. This article discusses ocotillo, you might find it useful: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/cacti-succulents/ocotillo/ocotillo-plant.htm

00
Here are more questions about Ocotillo Plants