Hollyhocks

Hollyhock Weevils

maggi rankin added on April 3, 2018 | Answered

I have way too many hollyhocks to check them all. last year I spent hours hand picking weevils. Is there anyway to kill them before the plants really start growing? its almost impossible to rake up all the buds on the ground. I cut and removed all the old stems but I think the bugs are in the tinier dried up buds, is that right? are the seeds themselves infected? I love these plants and those bugs ruin them. thank you, maggi in NM

You can spray neem oil any time of year. This can be used as a spot treatment, and a pre-treatment, and preventative. Just make sure to spray this while in shade, or in the afternoon to avoid burning the foliage. This collection of articles will guide you on ways to craft your own pesticides, along with more useful tips: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/special/organic/

00
Here are more questions about Hollyhocks