Holly Bushes

Holly Bush Problems

Robert Fiandaca added on November 22, 2017 | Answered

I live in central Florida and we have a holly bush that is about 6 years old. When I arrived at my house this month for the winter I noticed that the holly bush had dead branches in the center and the branches at the very top have a fuzzy like growth on them and no leaves. Is this normal for a holly bush in this climate area? Is it dying? I have never seen this condition before. Not sure what to do but my first thought was to cut off both the dead branches and the those at the top with the fuzzy stuff on them. Appreciate any insight you can provide on how to deal with these conditions. Thank You, Bob

You should, definitely, cut off any affected growth. This appears to be a fungal issue. After this, you can treat the soil with wettable sulfur to get rid of this in the soil and root area. With this treatment, the new growth will come back as normal.

Here is an article for the care of these bushes:https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/shrubs/holly/growing-holly-bushes.htm

00
Here are more questions about Holly Bushes