Rhubarb Plants

HOles in My Rhubarb Leaves

fam.lewis added on April 4, 2018 | Answered

Something I cannot identify is eating huge holes in the leaves of my newly blooming rhurbarb plant. what can I do?

It could be slugs. The best way to tell is to go out at night with a flashlight and try to find the culprit. Caterpillars also make good size holes but they are visible in the day. Take a close look as some have amazingly good camouflage. If it turns out to be slugs, here is an article on controlling them. https://extension.psu.edu/landscaping-and-gardening-around-walnuts-and-other-juglone-producing-plants. The article mentions using egg shells to deter slugs but studies have shown that this doesn't work well. Baits like Sluggo and Sluggo Plus are safe for birds and pets. Also consider covering your rhubarb with a row-cover material during the night. You'll need to tuck it in right next to the base of the plant.

00
Here are more questions about Rhubarb Plants