Hibiscus Plants

Hibiscus Care

My neighbor gave me a hibiscus plant this past spring. I planted it outside and it did really well. The frost got it and now all the leaves are dead. Can it survive the winter in the ground? I live in southeastern Ohio and it gets cold and snowy during the winter. Can it survive outside, or is it too late, since the frost has already got it?

With proper care (i.e. wrapping, mulching, etc.) hardy hibiscus should survive winters without any ill effects. However, tropical hibiscus plants cannot survive cold conditions and must be brought inside for over wintering. As for cold damage, here is an article that you may find helpful: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/plant-problems/environmental/tips-for-saving-cold-damaged-plants.htm

Here are more questions about Hibiscus Plants