Hibiscus Plants
Q.

Hibiscus Bugs, Empty Blooms

I bought two new hibiscus plants after ours died from the cold last winter. The hibiscus tree has me baffled as it seems to have bugs, aphids, etc. I tried a rose powder to it and it has not helped. The other hibiscus has buds on it that are empty. We have had hibiscus before and have never had this problem. Can you help? I don't know what to do for it.

A.
    A.Answers to this queston: Add Answer

Gall midge may be affecting your hibiscus flowers if the buds won't open. This insect lays its eggs inside the buds. These must be controlled with an appropriate insecticide targeted at these pests. To find out if gall midge is to blame, examine the buds for signs of midge larvae by cutting or pulling them apart.

Here is an article on aphid control that you may find helpful: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/plant-problems/pests/homemade-aphid-control-a-natural-way-to-kill-aphids.htm

00

Did you find this helpful? Share it with your friends!

here are more questions about...
    Hibiscus Plants
    Join Us - Sign up to get all the latest gardening tips!

Do you know a lot about gardening?
    Become a GKH Gardening Expert

Learn More