I had two red HIBISCUS,When they where planted they where in very good shape.The past three weeks the leaves started turning to a black color. The bulbs dried up, and the plant finaly died. The leaves looked like they had mold on them. I dug up the plants and checked the roots. They looked good, and there was no bad smell to the roots. I also have a pink Hibiscus that was planted between the two red ones, but it was not affected. Would you be able to tell me what killed them?
Thanks for your time.
Randy, from Grove City, Ohio
If you planted these two hibiscus recently, they probably were suffering from transplant shock which may have been made worse by a disease. A fungus called sooty mold can turn leaves black, but this by itself would not kill the plants. Transplant shock is the most likely culprit: