hens and chicks plants indoors
Hi. My daughter gave me some hens and chicks that I have planted indoors as winter is nearing. I planted them in dirt made for succulent plants and they have been doing well for a couple of weeks. Yesterday I gave them a little bit of water, and this morning the tray they are planted in is being taken over my a mushroom type plant. I am taking it that this is not normal? Any idea what is going on? Thank you for any answers. smile uneksia
Certified GKH Gardening Expert
The soil that they were planted in seems to have been contaminated with the spores of a mushroom. These are not harmful to the plant, are are very beneficial to the soil. Leave them as long as there aren't animals or children around. Although I am not certain, they resemble a mushroom called the deathcap. They will, more than likely, be very deadly for consumption.
I am noticing the light green color on the plants... These are used to being in full sun all day. These seem to be experiencing a lack of light. If you cannot put it in an area that receives sun for all or most of the day, then it will be best to get supplemental lighting for the plant. (No household bulbs, unless they are LED) Other than this, there isn't much to do to care for these.
thank you for your answer. i do have a grow light so i will put them under it. i knew they weren't getting enough light and the thought of the grow light never crossed my mind. brain dead moment.
again....... thank you!