Ferns

Help With Preparing Soil for Fern

martin.musselwhite added on March 12, 2015 | Answered

I am totally new to the world of planting & growing Ferns. I have a shady, wet part of my garden, along a fence that I have been thinking about planting ferns in. I have attached some photos of its current state. From reading several articles, I am somewhat confused as to what to do to prepare this ground to take fern.

My aim is to have a fern planting along this entire patch (even under the wooden tower if I can). Can you help with what I need to do to this ground (i.e. do I need to turn it over, add compost, manure, etc. or can I just plant straight into it?)? I would be interested in buying fern plants when I know the ground is ready to accept them. Perhaps you could also advise on which types would be best (as little care as possible).

We did not receive your photo (sorry). The soil should be rich, well-drained, with an abundance of organic matter (i.e. compost). You should work the soil so that is loose instead of compacted, which will allow the fern's roots to grow more freely.

Taking care of ferns is relatively easy and ferns as a whole are very forgiving plants. Ferns are ideal for your spot given that it's shady and wet.

The article below discusses different types of ferns and their care:
https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/foliage/ferns/taking-care-of-outdoor-ferns.htm

00
Here are more questions about Ferns