Tomato Plants

Help! My Tomato Plants Are Out of Control!

larryavasdad added on July 10, 2012 | Answered

Perhaps I shouldn't complain, but I have six tomato plants in my little garden. They are full, lush and over 5 feet tall. I planted about 30" apart, but they are crowded. . . rain forest crowded. Should I thin them? Cut them back? Leave them be?

We normally do not advise pruning tomatoes, and the tomato fruit ripen with heat rather than sunlight. But, if it is very dense, it could cause problems with airflow, which can invite disease in. If you decide to prune, use a very clean pair of shears and cut at the place where the branch you are trimming meets the stem. Allow it to air dry and do not water the foliage of the plant for a day after you prune. Here is an article that you may find helpful: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/vegetables/tomato/should-you-prune-tomato-plants.htm

00
Here are more questions about Tomato Plants