Iris Plants

Help ID This Plant!

Mygardensarha added on March 7, 2017 | Answered

I thought the plants pictured were some type of flower, but now, I am not so sure. The unknowns are everywhere, as you can see, especially in one of my raised vegetable garden boxes. Last year I tried to pull them multiple times with no success. I surrendered, and trimmed their pointy leaves every week or two instead. I have a couple of well established iris nearby, so when it looked similar I surmised the unknown plants might be Iris. Honestly? I don't really know what they are, but at this point, it seems like a veggie box take over. Recently I dug them up, reaching not a bulb but a huge root system the size of tree roots but not the same texture. Please help me ID!

I do think that you have some sort of large fibrous rhizome of the Iris that you mention are planted near the garden bed.

The small plants appear to be Iris and the leaves that you have removed also could be Iris.

Transplanting some of the plants to another area of the garden or pots and allowing them to grow or to flower is a good way to solve the mystery.

They very much resemble some Yellow Iris that I have in my garden, that will be evicted this spring. They have become highly invasive.
I might need a back hoe to remove them!

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/bulbs/iris/yellow-flag-iris-control.htm

00
Here are more questions about Iris Plants