Heirloom Tomatoes

Heirloom Tomatoes

Planted beautiful heirloom tomatoes for the first time. Planted them in good soil and put them in an underground 'cage' so the gophers couldn't get to them. They are huge, bearing fruit, but the leaves look like they are drying up; I noticed while watering that water is going down holes on the sides of the gopher baskets. . . looks like they might be eating the roots. Would this be the reason for the leaves drying up? Plus, my little cherry tomato is now all dried up and dead. I live in northern California.

Something is preventing the plant roots from taking up water. You may need to move them elsewhere or grow them in pots. This article will help with the gopher problem: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/plant-problems/pests/animals/eliminate-gophers.htm

Here are more questions about Heirloom Tomatoes