Plant Recommendations

aprovoost added on August 22, 2016 | Answered

I want to plant a hedge in my north facing garden. The planting site is in shade until the late afternoon and is then in full sun. The soil is damp, heavy clay. I want to keep the hedge below 1.5 metres. Ideally, I would like the hedge to be wildlife friendly. What plant would you recommend for such a hedge? Many thanks, Arthur Provoost

Choosing plants that are suited to your growing zone and planting conditions will help you with success in this new landscape project.

This link will help you determine your growing zone.

There are many shade loving shrubs that will do well in a North planting location, though I do feel the biggest issue you may have is your clay soil conditions.
Most plants and shrubs prefer a loamy soil that drains well.
You may need to start your project with some work to your planting area and amending the clay soil to ensure your new plants will thrive.
Here are some links with more information.
I would also suggest you visit local garden centers to see plants that are available to your specific region.
You can also receive a list of plant suggestions from your local County Extension Office.
This link will help you locate the office nearest to you.

Here are more questions about Plant Recommendations