Hedge Roses Are Too Tall

Beckt67 added on August 25, 2012 | Answered

I have 6 Apricot Princess rose bushes. No matter how many times I trim them down, they grow back tall and upright. They are supposed to be hedge roses. How do I get them to grow fuller on the bottoms instead of growing taller and taller? Thank you.

Some rosebushes, such as the Apricot Princess, as hardy bushes that really love to grow and bloom. The part the marketing folks do not tell us about is that yes they make great hedge rosebushes, but they require fairly constant pruning to shape them the way we may desire for a hedge rose. I know it is alot of work but keep doing what you are doing, perhaps even prune them back a little harder and see if they get the message to spread out more. Unfortunately with these very hardy growing bushes, the pruning many times just inspires them to grow more and perform better. They are sooo beautiful when loaded up with blooms I know. Perhaps even try pruning them less and see where they top out at. It may just be that you will have a taller hedge than first thought of.

00