Vanda Orchids

Healthy Vanda Roots but They Have Black Tips on Them

Fran Wofford added on May 1, 2018 | Answered

The plant is extremely healthy. It's just gotten over a blooming episode I have got the stock back and now I am noticing these little black tips on the end of my roots. My roots are grey and green which are very healthy none of them are mushy or anything. What are the black tips?

This is usually an indication that the water being used is what is called "hard". This means that it is very alkaline, and most likely contains high amounts of calcitic lime.

If you are using tap water, I would recommend using purified, or RO water. This will stop the problem from happening in the future.

This article will give you more information on the care of these: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/flowers/orchids/vanda-orchid-care.htm

10
Fran Wofford

Do I need to snip off the black tips? Or are they harmful to the plant? The plant has been extremely healthy and has been flowering quite often and the roots are not mushy and grey white in color and green Only When Wet.

00
Here are more questions about Vanda Orchids