Harvesting of Summer Savory

I was under the impression that I needed to leave my summer savory in the garden till the tops looked like they were starting to dry. My mother then informs, no I need to pick it and hang it, which I have done now upside down into bags so the herbs will fall into the bags. My question is, they had little flowers on them so do I need to pick the little purple flowers off first? Also, is there a great way to harvest it to get the little short twigs out instead of picking them individually out from the herb itself?

While savory plant is growing and when you are using fresh savory for cooking, use only the tender growth on the plant. At the end of the season, harvest the entire plant, both woody and tender growth, and dry the leaves of the plant so that you can use the herb over the winter as well.

Here are more questions about Savory