Banana Trees

Hardy Banana Tree Winter Care

Bigdawg added on September 14, 2016 | Answered

I have had several winter hardy banana trees for a few years. I have read that wherever you cut them off for the winter, that is where they will begin new growth the following year, so as not to have to start from ground level because the growing season not long enough. I live in Northern Virginia, Manassas to be exact. I have tried many different ways, but the stalks always rot to the ground. They do come up the next year, but was hoping to have them begin the new growth from where I cut them off. I have used hay, I have tried pinebark mulch so as to allow airflow without holding to much moisture to cause the rot. I have covered with the hay and then placed a tarp over the pile, but everything I do seems to have the same results with them rotting to the ground. Would you have suggestions? I would love for my tree to grow as big as possible next year. My tree now is about 7-8 tall, that is my biggest one. The others are a lot smaller for some reason. Thank you, Thomas

It is possible that your location is too cold for the banana stalk to survive over the winter, even if protected. It might be possible with even more layers of protection, but I can't offer a technique for helping it survive. These articles recommend cutting back to just 8-10 inches and mulching:

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/fruits/banana/growing-cold-hardy-bananas.htm
http://www.uaex.edu/yard-garden/resource-library/plant-week/hardy-banana-9-7-07.aspx

00
Here are more questions about Banana Trees