Growth on Rose Bush After Deadheading

Kathleen Dancy added on May 24, 2016 | Answered

After I deadhead my rose bush, growths which are flexible and sort of red in color, emerge. The blooms on this growth are malformed. How to I keep these growths from occurring?

Once roses are deadheaded, the new growth coming on for new blooms many times starts out redish in color. If the blooms are malformed, it could be that an insect is visiting them prior to opening causing the problem. It could also be the dreaded Rose Rosette Virus for which there is no cure. Rosebushes with the virus are best dug out and destroyed to prevent infecting other rosebushes. If it is an insect issue, I would recommend giving the rosebushes a treatment or two of Bayer Tree and Shrub Granules as directed on the product label. Here is a link to more information on the rose rosette virus also: http://americanhort.theknowledgecenter.com/OnDemand/index.cfm?view=category&colid=143&cid=377

00