Caladium Plants

Growing Caladiums

I live in Pensacola, Florida (panhandle). I planted caladium bulbs about a month ago, after all temps below 40 degrees were past. I have seen no sign of their sprouting. They are in my partially shaded backyard. I water every other day, as we have had little rain since they were planted. I planted about 4 inches deep and tried to be sure they were pointing upward. Did I do something wrong, or do they take longer than that? What do they look like as they come up? I do have some very small leaves in the area planted, but they look nothing like the finished product.

Caladiums need warm weather to sprout with ground temps of about 70 degrees F. Here is an article or two that you may find helpful:

I live in Pensacola Florida as well and plant caladium every year. I plant them in mid-March.. By mid-April, they start coming up. They look much like the tip of a glad coming up at first sprout. Never had any problems. I plant in both sun and shade. They all do beautifully.

Here are more questions about Caladium Plants