Beefsteak Tomatoes

Growing Tomato Plants Indoors

LesliePascaud61 added on September 10, 2017 | Answered

Hi, I have several beefsteak tomato plants which I have grown from seedlings on my fire escape I have since brought them indoors. I was finding a lot of pigeon feathers on the plants and assumed the pigeons might be eating the blossoms, although I never actually saw any blossoms . They have since grown to 3 to 4 feet high but are not flowering. I have no lights on them but they do get a lot of sunlight at the window. What do I need to do to get them to blossom ?

It is VERY difficult to produce tomatoes indoors with natural sunlight. I, myself, specialize in indoor gardening, and find myself almost always having to use supplemental light from a fixture. These can be a bit pricey when you go the route I did with good LED's. It does save you in the long run. There are many other options, such as Metal halide, or high pressure sodium bulbs. I do not ever recommend standard household bulbs, though.

As for your flowering issue... Tomatoes do not flower until the day and night temperatures are pretty close to the same. They can be a bit tricky to grow indoors, but if you have the proper equipment, and time... They can be a fun project to have all throughout the winter.

00
Here are more questions about Beefsteak Tomatoes