Basil Plants

Growing Basil

I was at a baby shower this weekend and the 'favors' were different herb plants. I've always wanted to grow herbs, but unfortunately, I never have. I love basil and luckily there was still one plant left when I got up there. My question is, if I plant it outside, do I need to bring it in for the winter (I live in upstate NY), and if so, will I be able to keep it growing indoors and then be able to plant it again outdoors?

Basil is a rather short lived annual. You can expect it only to survive the summer and after that it will get woody. It is best to start a new plant for winter to grow indoors (so, yes, you will need to grow it indoors for winter).

Here are some articles to help you with your basil plant and future basil plants:

Here are more questions about Basil Plants