Sweet Potato Plants

Growing a Sweet Potato Plant

Why is my sweet potato plant getting soft? I planted a sweet potato, it sprouted nicely and has long roots. However, the potato is now soft in some places. Is it still good, or is it going to rot? Should I throw it out and start over. Please advise. Thanks, Berta Reed

Don't throw it out if the new growth is healthy -- this is exactly what you want! The originally planted potato is likely transitioning all of its nutrients to the plant, and it's not a problem that it is changing consistency. You won't harvest that one. It will remain the "mother plant" for the sweet potato vines. With continued proper care, you'll have sweet potatoes to eat and even maybe enough to put up for winter! This article may help you continue to care for your sweet potato: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/vegetables/sweet-potato/grow-sweet-potatoes.htm

00
Here are more questions about Sweet Potato Plants