Apple Trees

Growing A “Fruit” Tree in Chicago

CEggert added on April 19, 2012 | Answered

I live in Chicago, Il. And I wanted to buy a fruit tree, Apple, Pear, Peach, Plum. I've never planted a tree before and I was wondering if it was possible to have a fruit tree in Chicago. We have hot, humid summers and harsh winters. I just wanted to know maybe what would be the best tree to buy for my area. Thanks :)

Since you live in an area with harsh winters, it may be better to grow fruit trees in containers, leaving them out all summer and bringing them indoors for overwintering. All of these trees you listed, except for the peach, will do well in containers where you live. If you want to grow peaches, you will need to find a variety that is suited for your area. Peaches and nectarines need a certain amount of cold to bloom, and you will need to look for a "low chill" variety. Of course, it may be possible to find other hardy fruit trees as well. Check with your local garden center for help with this.

You will also need to make sure you can give your container fruit trees enough water. They will need watering daily most of the time.

00
Here are more questions about Apple Trees