Tree Problems

Grow Tree From Sucker

We live out on the plains of Colorado, and we have some small trees planted by the previous owner (so I'm not sure what they are).  I was told they are red Chinese something, anyway we have had two very, very dry winters and all the trees died. From the base, as always, we have suckers. My father-in-law said I can pick good stalks, trim away the rest, and I should have a good tree. What should I do?

You can grow a new tree from the suckers. If you dig around the base of the sucker, check to see if it has its own root system. If it does, you can simply dig it out and cut it away from the parent plant. Then place it in a pot and give it plenty of water until you see new growth. Then it can be planted out in the ground.

If you do not see that it has its own root system, scrape a little bark away from below the soil line on the sucker and then cover the wound back up with soil. Check back every month or so until you see roots develop and then follow the instructions above.

00
Here are more questions about Tree Problems