Bird Of Paradise Plants

Bird of Paradise Plants

kim21 added on August 25, 2015 | Answered

Grew from seed 4 bird of paradise plants this year (April). One is now about to flower and they are outside. I read it takes years for it to flower. Why is it flowering so soon? I germinated seeds in damp kitchen paper, took 5 days on window sill. Transplanted into a small pot, then at 6 inches tall I put in this pot plant food. When it was a foot tall, I put it outside on patio and let it look after itself, occasionally watering and fertilizing it. It is now around 3 foot tall and has several side shoots. I have not given it any special treatment. I am not a gardener. I read these are difficult to grow and flower, beginner's luck?.

You are correct in that though growing from seed is not necessarily difficult, waiting for growth and flowers takes patience--usually!
How wonderful that you have had such success and really must have provided the optimum growing conditions.

Enjoy the results of you work and thank you for sharing this success story. The beauty of gardening, it keeps us on our toes and with all the research sometimes you just can't explain what the reasons are.

Here are more questions about Bird Of Paradise Plants