Gladiolus

Gladiola

I live near Austin, TX. Planted 110 gladiola bulbs this last spring all at one time (just read that wasn't the thing to do if I want flowers all spring and summer!). And I planted them 3 inches deep and the plants are leaning over (just read that wasn't the thing to do). Okay, now I have 110 plants leaning over. My questions: Will they bloom again this season? Can I cut the plants down to the soil since they are not a pleasant sight to see? I am not sure I want to continue with gladiolas. Might want to see what else I could grow there. Thank you!

No, the glads will not bloom again this season. Also, I would hold off on cutting the foliage back. While I know this can be unsightly, the plant depends on its foliage to make and store enough energy for bulb production and blooming next year. To compensate for this, it is oftentimes a good idea to plant a cover plant that will add appeal during this time, such as a perennial, ground cover plant, or even some type of annual flower.

00
Here are more questions about Gladiolus