Amaryllis Plants

Amaryllis Not Flowering

Anonymous added on December 23, 2010 | Answered

I was given a gift of an amaryllis bulb in late October. I immediately planted it in the planting medium supplied and am keeping it watered. All that is growing are tall leaves. This is December and there is no flower stalk in sight. What, if anything, can be done? I've had this happen the second year with bulbs but never the first year!

It was probably a mistake on the grower's part. Amaryllis that you buy at the store for forcing typically are shipped ready to bloom, with a bud literally ready to pop out. But, just like any manufactured product, your amaryllis may have been shipped by accident with either no bud or a damaged bud that never emerged. You can either get a new one and start over, or you can let it cycle through dormancy and it will bloom for you next year.

00
Here are more questions about Amaryllis Plants