Desert Rose Plants

Germinating Desert Roses

mzprefontm added on October 1, 2016 | Answered

I'm trying to grow some desert roses from seed. Even though I could grow them indoors and on a warming tray, I wanted to see if I could just place them in my greenhouse with relatively less sunlight than directly outdoors. I am starting them in a holes pan and placed the seeds in very well drained soil. I filled the base tray with water and can add as needed. Otherwise the seeds are in cells being grown 1 per cell. I live in Florida so the air is hot and probably humid. But these will be getting shelter from additional water and can be controlled this way I hope. Any ideas on whether this will fail?

Germinating seeds in a greenhouse is fine, as long as they do not get excessively hot (like when a greenhouse develops almost ovenlike conditions). Keeping the soil moist but not sopping wet is important to promote germination while preventing damping off. Don't keep the base tray filled constantly but instead dump it out after the soil has absorbed water. With these tips your plan should succeed.

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/garden-how-to/seeds/what-is-damping-off.htm

10
mzprefontm

thanks and of course even though I'm keeping all door and vent windows open, I'm afraid that it may get too hot here during the summer here in florida, so i may have to bring them indoors i guess. I do have a humidity and temperature gauge out there, Any particular temps they should stay below before I decide to keep them on the porch instead?

00
Here are more questions about Desert Rose Plants