Organic Gardening

Gardening Topic

Michele17farrow added on March 27, 2017 | Answered

Straw bale gardening: 1st year and am still conditioning bales. I now have a small lawn of weed seedlings growing on top with all the nitrogen and water added! The\'re starting to heat up....can I expect the impending heat to FRY those unwanted seedlings?? They were quite easy to pull out the first couple of days, but not so much now, as it is a mat'o grass! Help! I did not intend to use plastic to help them heat up as I live in the Atlanta area and it is already heating up outside.....maybe black plastic for greenhouse effect will fry them?? Thank you!!

If you have that many grass seedlings growing, you may have a hay bale instead of a straw bale- hay is harvested after it's gone to seed, so it can create a difficult weed problem. But, you can probably kill the weeds by solarizing them with plastic sheets, as you've suggested:
http://ipm.ucanr.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn74145.html

The heat of the bales should kill some of them too.

00
Here are more questions about Organic Gardening