Bell Pepper Plants

Garden Pests

I have planted this year some tomato plants, bell peppers (yellow, red and green), and watermelon. I have had a problem with something eating the bell pepper and watermelon plants. They are much too youg to have fruit, so the pest is eating only the leaves. The plant is eaten down to a stub. I know there are gophers in my front yard but have not seen evidence of them in the backyard where the plants are. I did see last night a rat/mouse in the garden eating some bird seed, but not touching the plants. Can rats/mice eat vegetable and fruit plants?

It's possible that the culprit is a slug. They normally only come out at night, so you may not ever see them, but the damage is quite similar to what you describe. This article will help: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/plant-problems/pests/facts-about-slugs-and-how-to-kill-garden-slugs.htm

00
Here are more questions about Bell Pepper Plants