There is a fungus that appears overnight in my wife's flower bed. It looks like vomit. What is it and how do I get rid of it and try to keep it from returning? Thank you.
Certified GKH Gardening Expert
You have a slime mold, which some people also call vomit fungus. It is not dangerous and normally goes away on its own. This is oftentimes seen in areas with lots of mulch, as it feeds on decaying matter. The best way to avoid these is to make sure your mulch is not too thick, to use mulches that are not too fresh and already partly composted. You can also clean up the area and slime mold and treat with fungicide.
This article will provide additional information: http://www.clemson.edu/extension/hgic/pests/plant_problems/hgic2354.html